Friday, August 26, 2016

Some Pillowcases and a Shop Sale

Last week I was sorting through the closet in our guest room where we keep a stack of spare pillows, and a question occurred to me: why do I have all of these old, musty pillowcases when I could have new, pretty pillowcases?  I have also been wanting to make pillowcases for my bed, so I decided to make a whole stack at once.
Bluebird Pillowcases
I apologize that these photos aren't great.  It turns out that taking photos of pillows is not easy, especially when all of my photo helpers are at school.  The two above were made with the Fox Tracks print from Bluebird.  I LOVE this print.  It's my favorite color and I love the floral.  Good thing my husband doesn't mind sleeping on a flowery pillow.
New Pillowcases
Then I made one from Hatbox, two from Anna Maria Horner, and one from Lizzy House's Constellations.  These were all 1 yard cuts that I had sitting in my cupboard that I really love, but wasn't sure when I was ever going to use.  
Constellations Pillowcase
I really like this pillowcase tutorial if you are interested in making your own.  

In other news, there might be some changes going on around here (life changes, not sewing related changes, more info soon) and I am going to be clearing out the quilts that I have in stock.  I am marking all of the quilts in my shop down 10%.  I will continue to mark them down every few days until I give up and donate them.  So if you are interested in a quilt, now is the time!

Friday, August 19, 2016

A Quilt for a Boy

For the past few years I have been making quilts for my nieces and nephews as they have turned 8. It seems like all of the kids were born in groupings and in the past year 2 nephews and my daughter have all turned 8, they are keeping me busy!
A Quilt for a Boy
This quilt is for our nephew Aiden.   He turns 8 this month and that is the age in our church when kids are baptized.  We are going to miss his baptism because of a conflict, so this one is going to have to go in the mail.
A Quilt for a Boy
I used the backing fabric for the color inspiration and went with a variety of blues and greens. The quilt top is made up of 3.75" finished half square triangles so this involved a lot of trimming!  
A Quilt for a Boy
I cut my binding strips 2.75" wide which is what I have been doing more and more often.  When I first started quilting I always used 2.25" wide binding strips, then moved on to 2.5", and now I am preferring 2.75".  One thing that I like about the wider binding is that it seems to be easier to make a nice, crisp corner.  

Finished size: 57" x 68"
Backing Fabric: Denyse Schmidt Franklin
Binding Fabric: Pure Elements Nocturnal (available here)

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

a little updating

While I have continued to post, things around the blog had gotten a little out of date.  I hadn't updated the Quilt tab in almost a year, oops!  That has now been updated, as well as adding a tab for my patterns and updated the header.  I have also added a couple of quilts to my Etsy shop.  They are minor changes to the blog and shop, but they took me forever so I am posting about them!
Sorry if things have been a little quiet here. With the kids home for the summer, there wasn't much time for sewing, but these cuties are back to school so once I get the house back in order, I will be back to quilting!
Harper and Jonah 1st Day fo School 2016

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

New Pillow Covers (Part 1)

The pillows in our family room get a lot of use.  They get slept on, jumped on, thrown, crawled over, etc. and every year or so they need to be replaced.  The other day when I suddenly had an evening where I had finished all of my current projects and wasn't quite ready to start anything else on my to do list, I made a couple of pillow covers.
Hazel Pillow Front
This one uses scraps from Allison Harris' Hazel collection that I had leftover from making this quilt.  I think that this collection has such a fun and happy color combo.  I used some larger scraps for the back as well and this pillow cover finished up at 20" x 20".
Hazel Pillow Back
The back has a zipper closure that I made using this method.  I have tried a few different closure methods, but this is the one that I keep coming back to. 
Panda Pillow Front
And then I made a second pillow cover using leftovers from this quilt and this quilt.  I made the mistake of not measuring my pillow form before I made the pillow and there is now a 14" pillow form stuffed into a 12" pillow cover.  Oops!  I think I might get a smaller pillow form and add this to my daughter's bed since this pillow is a little on the small side for the family room
Panda Pillow Back
I am halfway through making another pillow cover that I will hopefully finish at some point, so stay tuned for Part 2!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...