this cross stitch pattern. I got the idea from Svetlana's gorgeous Pinkie Pie quilt and a quick Google search saved me the trouble of figuring it out myself.
There are 39 different fabrics used in the quilt top and I think that the variety helps the quilt be a little more fun.
1 2/3 yard various blue prints and solids (the more variety the better)
1 1/4 yard various low volume fabric
3/8 yard for binding
1 3/4 yard of 44" wide fabric for backing
1. Cut (24) 2.5" strips of various blue fabrics. Subcut into (372) 2.5" squares.
2. Cut (15) 2.5" strips of low volume fabrics. Subcut into (237) 2.5" squares.
3. Arrange the low volume squares like light blue squares in the cross stitch pattern and then surround with the blue squares. The quilt will be 21 squares x 29 squares.
4. Sew together the rows and then the columns.
5. Baste, quilt, and bind as desired.
The finished size is 42" x 58"